Saturday, April 3, 2010

Chapter Six: Baada ya kazi...

Well, sorry for not posting in such a long time. A lot has happened in the interim. I've set up a picture website and have the link posted above. Pictures can say a lot more than mere words. I've been busy with patient issues, residency stuff, and traveling.

This easter weekend I've been able to relax. I decided not to travel because I wanted to be able to attend Mass. Tomorrow, I'm helping put on a day of Easter fun for a special group of kids. There's about 17 girls and boys that are either being treated with ARVs for HIV or someone in their family was. Now, either they were not being treated well, were abandoned and stigmatized, had mismanagement of their drug regimens, or were orphaned by AIDS and have now been taken care of in the OVC Eldo View orphan home. This is part of the AMPATH program. We are taking them to Mass with us tomorrow and have lots of neat food and cake and games for them afterward. They look forward to it every year.

Last night I went out dancing with friends. It was really fun and since we had guy friends with us, we weren't as plagued by some of the persistent Kenyans if we didn't want to DANCE with them. "Baada ya kazi" means after work in ki-swahili. It's the slogan for Tusker, the popular national beer in Kenya. I had a few last night before going out. :)

So trips I've been on so far: Jinja, Uganda White Water Rafting on the Nile, Kerio View/Kruger Farm, Maasai Mara and Serengeti Mara River, and lastly Kakamega Rain Forest. Traveling is wonderful but the drive there is often akin to torture. The roads here are terrible. I was joking with one of my Kenya counterparts here. She say a driver driving straight on the road and said he was drunk driving. LOL If you aren't dodging potholes and cows, then it makes a lot of sense that you're driving under the influence!

Love you all!
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment