Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chapter Five: Mazungu choma

I am so burnt from rafting. My skin started peeling badly a few days ago. Sunburn is called "mazungu choma" because only mazungus burn. Myama choma is barbacue in ki-swahili meaning "burnt meat." Pretty funny.
Yesterday, we went on a major hike and saw giraffes 20 ft from us and impalas and antelopes. We also went to kerio view which is at the tip of the one side of the Great Rift Valley.Bbeautiful view. The tectonic plates that formed the valley are still basically visible. There are 3 different flat areas. The top, the middle and then the valley which is semi-arid. They call it heaven and hell. The dichotomy is due to the aquaphor and flow of water. On top and most of the middle layers, most of the water resides. Tons of vegetation and very good farmland is there. Looking over the valley, you can see patches of dry earth, almost desert-like in some areas.
I've walked through town a few times now. The street boys really seem to like me. It was kind of intimidating at first. But now, I'm used to the flow of bodies. One in particular said he loved me and wanted to know if I love him. Haha, he was pretty funny. As I walked away, he exclaimed, "My wife, my wife is leaving me!"

Miss you all alot!
Jess
PS I'm super sore from hiking.

2 comments: